Do you need a sign permit?

In most cases, permits are required for an LED Digital Outdoor sign. Which agency has jurisdiction depends on the location of the sign.
There are certain restrictions as to setback, size and location, that are considered when issuing sign permits.

Located on a provincial highway? …
In Ontario, the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is responsible for managing the provincial highway corridor network.

If you are planning to erect or alter a sign or advertising device on a property within 400m (¼ mile) of any Ontario provincial highway right-of-way, you may require a permit.

MTO London Office –
Ministry of Transportation, Highway Corridor Management Section
659 Exeter Rd., London, ON N6E 1L3 Phone: 519-873-4203 Toll Free: 1-800-265-6072

To find out if you require a MTO permit, complete the permit application wizard. (clickable link)
MTO offers streamlined permitting services through its online permit portal. (clickable link)
In addition to applying for a permit using MTO’s online services, you can also perform the following functions:

  • Track a permit application – view the progress and status of a permit application
  • Make a payment – pay your billing statement online by credit card (Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, or Debit Mastercard) or by Interac Online
  • Submit an inquiry – contact Highway Corridor Management staff with site-specific questions
  • Submit post-construction information – submit as-built drawings and construction completion date for encroachment permits involving utilities
  • View permit controlled areas – determine if you are in the controlled area by entering the location and type of proposed activity

If your business is located within a city, town or municipality ….
Contact the Building Department for the  local municipality which is responsible for issuing Sign Permits.